17.2 C
New York

DHQ dismisses reports of Niger’s MNJTF withdrawal

Published:


The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed reports of Niger Republic’s withdrawal from the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), stating that such a move would have serious security implications.

The Director of Defence Media Operations, Markus Kangye, a major general, addressed the media on Thursday in Abuja, emphasising the critical role of the MNJTF in regional security.

The MNJTF was formed in 1994 by countries of the Lake Chad Commission to fight terrorism and other transboundary crimes in member states.

Members of the Force are Niger, Nigeria, Chad and Cameroon, and the Benin Republic.

However, there were speculations that the Niger Republic had withdrawn from MNJTF following its exit from ECOWAS, which had insisted that it should reinstate ousted President Mohamed Bazoum.

The country, alongside Mali and Burkina Faso, subsequently formed another sub-regional body called Alliance of Sahel States (Alliance des États du Sahel (AES).

Security experts believe the withdrawal of the Niger Republic could have serious implications on the fight against terrorism and insurgency in the Lake Chad region and by extension, the greater Sahel.



Article Page with Financial Support Promotion

Nigerians need credible journalism. Help us report it.

Support journalism driven by facts, created by Nigerians for Nigerians. Our thorough, researched reporting relies on the support of readers like you.

Help us maintain free and accessible news for all with a small donation.

Every contribution guarantees that we can keep delivering important stories —no paywalls, just quality journalism.



They also said the exit may result in a resurgence of terrorist assaults, particularly targeting the IDPs and refugee camps.

About seven Nigerian states have borders with the Niger Republic. They are Sokoto, Katsina, Kebbi, Zamfara, Jigawa, Yobe and Borno. Virtually all the states are plagued by one form of security challenge or the other.

Mr Kangye stressed that efforts must be made to prevent any member state from leaving.

“I believe this issue has been a topic of discussion over the past few months, particularly after some ECOWAS members decided to form an alliance.

“However, the Multinational Joint Task Force was established by the Lake Chad Commission countries to address shared security concerns.

“Nigeria has made significant efforts to ensure the sustainability of this task force.

“However, if any member decides to withdraw, the implications will be significant. The synergy we rely on may no longer exist.

“It is not in our interest for any country to leave because their challenges also affect us. A withdrawal creates a gap and weakens the strength of the contingent from that country.

“Therefore, efforts must be made to prevent such a situation. We will continue to monitor the situation and, as always, provide further updates when necessary,” he said.

He also responded to concerns about the military’s operations, dismissing claims that efforts against terrorists, cattle rustlers, and herders had been scaled back.

He reaffirmed that operations remained ongoing and that high-value targets, such as notorious terrorist leader Bello Turji, were still being pursued.

READ ALSO: Nigerian troops eliminate 217 terrorists, nab 574 others in February – DHQ

Addressing concerns about the welfare of troops, Mr Kangye assured the public that soldiers wounded in action were well taken care of.

“The military has provided housing for those who cannot return to active service, and senior officers frequently visit wounded troops both on the frontlines and in hospitals.

“Some soldiers requiring advanced treatment have been flown to countries like Egypt, Turkey, and India,” he said.



Support PREMIUM TIMES’ journalism of integrity and credibility

At Premium Times, we firmly believe in the importance of high-quality journalism. Recognizing that not everyone can afford costly news subscriptions, we are dedicated to delivering meticulously researched, fact-checked news that remains freely accessible to all.

Whether you turn to Premium Times for daily updates, in-depth investigations into pressing national issues, or entertaining trending stories, we value your readership.

It’s essential to acknowledge that news production incurs expenses, and we take pride in never placing our stories behind a prohibitive paywall.

Would you consider supporting us with a modest contribution on a monthly basis to help maintain our commitment to free, accessible news? 

Make Contribution




TEXT AD: Call Willie – +2348098788999






PT Mag Campaign AD





Source link

Related articles

spot_img

Recent articles

spot_img