8.2 C
New York

Trump grants TikTok another 75-day extension

Published:


US President Donald Trump has granted TikTok another 75 days’ extension to comply with a law requiring its US operation or face a ban in the country.

The president is extending the deadline for the popular video app to comply, granting it another extension several weeks after he signed the executive order to grant TikTok its first 75-day extension.

The first 75-day extension issued in January will expire on Saturday.

“We do not want TikTok to ‘go dark’,” Trump wrote on Truth Social on Friday.

“We look forward to working with TikTok and China to close the Deal.”

The platform is currently owned by the Chinese company ByteDance.

In 2024, the US Congress passed legislation signed by then-President Joe Biden, which mandated TikTok’s Chinese parent company, ByteDance, to sell its US operations to an approved buyer within nine months.



Article Page with Financial Support Promotion

Nigerians need credible journalism. Help us report it.

Support journalism driven by facts, created by Nigerians for Nigerians. Our thorough, researched reporting relies on the support of readers like you.

Help us maintain free and accessible news for all with a small donation.

Every contribution guarantees that we can keep delivering important stories —no paywalls, just quality journalism.



The law prohibits internet hosting services and mobile app marketplaces from offering TikTok to American users.

However, Mr Trump has said that during the extension, the US will not enforce the law.

Days before Mr Trump’s inauguration, TikTok suspended and restored its services to users in the United States within 15 hours.

This was barely two days after the US Supreme Court’s ruling upheld the law forcing ByteDance to sell.

The social media platform, which cut off access for about 170 million users nationwide, attributed its return to president-elect Donald Trump’s move to save the app by delaying the ban’s enforcement.

READ ALSO: Amnesty International, ex-presidential candidates react to Plateau killings

Meanwhile, ByteDance is currently trying to broker a deal to bring the social media platform to keep the app functioning in the US.

However, in a statement on Friday, ByteDance stated that while it had been in talks with the Trump administration, no agreement had been finalised.

“There are key matters to be resolved. Any agreement will be subject to approval under Chinese law,” the company said.



Support PREMIUM TIMES’ journalism of integrity and credibility

At Premium Times, we firmly believe in the importance of high-quality journalism. Recognizing that not everyone can afford costly news subscriptions, we are dedicated to delivering meticulously researched, fact-checked news that remains freely accessible to all.

Whether you turn to Premium Times for daily updates, in-depth investigations into pressing national issues, or entertaining trending stories, we value your readership.

It’s essential to acknowledge that news production incurs expenses, and we take pride in never placing our stories behind a prohibitive paywall.

Would you consider supporting us with a modest contribution on a monthly basis to help maintain our commitment to free, accessible news? 

Make Contribution




TEXT AD: Call Willie – +2348098788999






PT Mag Campaign AD





Source link

Related articles

spot_img

Recent articles

spot_img